Job Title: Senior Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Position Type: Full Time, Exempt
Click here to download this job description in PDF format
Footsteps is seeking a strategic, organized, and highly relational development professional to serve as the organization’s first Senior Director of Development. You will lead a five-person development team, steward and cultivate major donors, and work closely with the Executive Director to grow diverse financial support for Footsteps. Your key deliverables in the first year will be to increase annual revenue from $3.1 million to $3.8 million, launch a 15th Anniversary campaign, and overhaul the development calendar to focus on the best cultivation strategies.
This position is one of four new senior roles and is an exciting opportunity to help lead the organization in a period of transition. You will be a key member of the Executive Team, along with the Executive Director, Senior Director of Programs, Senior Director of Organizational Development, and Senior Director of Finance, Data, and Administration.
Team Leadership: People, Systems, and Infrastructure
- Supervise, mentor, and expand the fundraising and communications team
- Craft and manage a strategic fundraising plan that includes major gifts, institutional giving, special events, individual giving, communications, and digital fundraising
- Manage fundraising and donor communications calendar and budget
- Create and revamp process and systems for development operations, including all data related functions and optimizing the use of Salesforce
- Collaborate with Executive Team to identify areas where special funding is needed, and ensure follow-through when program restricted funds are raised
- Promote a culture of philanthropy and appreciation with the board and throughout the organization
Individual & Institutional Fundraising
- Oversee development of annual moves management protocol for individual donors and prospects at the 1,000+ giving level including robust research, special events, public education, and other engagement opportunities
- Establish strong relationships with board members; staff the board around their fundraising goals
- Manage a cohort of major donors
- Oversee all donor related events; manage staff and consultants for special events
- Oversee institutional giving strategy including research, engagement, and calendar for reporting and submitting proposals
- Create donor communication strategy and oversee content development, including digital strategy and direct mail
- Co-create organizational communications strategy
- Train and co-supervise Communications Manager
- Strong commitment to and passion for Footsteps mission
- 10+ years of relevant or transferable professional experience
- Outstanding management and team leadership skills
- Track record for closing five and six figure gifts
- Demonstrated ability to develop, foster, and sustain relationships
- Outstanding verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Comfort and experience with donor databases such as Salesforce
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, delegate, and manage multiple priorities at once
- Strong time management, project management, and planning skills
- Significant experience in individual giving and in one or more of the following areas: major gifts, special events, institutional giving, endowment fundraising, donor communications, digital fundraising, and direct mail
- Ability to work evenings at least once a month and occasional weekends to staff member and donor events
- Compelling storyteller with the ability to articulate the importance of the organization’s work to prospective and current funders
- Demonstrated ability to manage up
- Dedication to working inclusively and collaboratively
- Demonstrated ability to manage buildout of Salesforce
- Proven track record of working successfully with people at all levels of an organization (staff, board, donors, consultants, volunteers, and members)
- Demonstrated competency working with members of traumatized populations and/or holds a trauma-informed lens
- Knowledge of and/or experience in the organized Jewish community
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, growing organization
- Interest in helping to shape new Executive Team
Location: New York City
Start Date: February or March 2020
Salary: $110,000-$125,000 commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your name and “Senior Director of Development” in the subject line.
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply soon.
Team + Benefits: You will be joining an amazing team of passionate, mission-driven colleagues. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes: flexible work schedule; option to work remotely one day a week; paid holidays and 20 days of paid time off in first year; four weeks of paid parental leave in first year; health, dental, and vision insurance; 3% match for IRA retirement plan; flexible spending accounts for health care, dependent care, and transit; and $1,000 a year for professional development.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Footsteps. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Footsteps is an equal opportunity employer. Immigrants, people of color, formerly ultra-Orthodox individuals, LGBTQIA people, people with disabilities, and people who come from poor and working-class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Footsteps does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.