Footsteps provides social, educational and vocational support to those grappling with the consequences of leaving ultra-Orthodox communities in which they were raised.
Rockland Group Facilitator
Footsteps seeks a part time group facilitator for an already formed group in Rockland County, New York. Group members are adults living in Rockland and Orange Counties who are grappling with the consequences of leaving insular, ultra-Orthodox religious communities in which they were raised. The group is an open-format, peer support group with a professional facilitator. The facilitator will run the group two Thursday evenings per month. The facilitator will also be responsible for conducting initial interviews with new group members. Optimally, the facilitator will provide, or obtain, a discreet location to conduct the group.
The ideal candidate will employ superior interpersonal skills. Group facilitation experience and work with individuals undergoing deep transition and identity formation is crucial. Understanding of impact of culture and religion on this transition is a plus.
Footsteps provides social, educational and vocational support to those grappling with the consequences of leaving ultra-Orthodox communities in which they were raised. When ultra-Orthodox Jewish men and women choose to explore life outside the confines of their insular communities, they leave behind all that is safe and familiar for the unknown. Footsteps, the only organization of its kind in North America, fills the void by providing an array of services so that participants can define their own identities, build new communities, and live productive lives on their own terms.
- Facilitate bi-monthly peer support groups for Footsteps members
- Conduct initial interviews with potential Footsteps members from Rockland/Orange Counties
- Identify a discreet location for groups to conduct the group.
- Work with Footsteps staff to identify emerging needs of members
- Gain an understanding of resources in Rockland/Orange Counties and make referrals as needed.
- Document and provide data reports on participant interaction to staff as requested
- Receive professional consultation and supervision from Footsteps staff
Competencies & Qualifications:
- Excellent group facilitation skills; superb listening, verbal, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with others on a program team
- Ability to take non-judgmental approach to working with people of diverse backgrounds and beliefs
- Experience working with individuals undergoing deep transition and identity formation
- Flexibility and responsiveness to evolving organizational priorities and job responsibilities
- Licensed mental health professional or licensure in related field required
- At least 3 years of previous work experience in related field required
- Reliable transportation and phone
- Availability two Thursday evenings per month in Rockland County
- Ability to attend monthly staff meetings in New York City
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and indicate your name and "Rockland Group Facilitator" in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, no later than March 8, 2013.
Footsteps is an equal opportunity employer; competitive hourly compensation will be offered for this part time position.
Footsteps seeks college and graduate level interns to support our program, operations, administration, communications and fundraising activities. Footsteps is a dynamic work environment and provides a high level of professional development opportunities. We are a small team, so there is a lot of room for growth in this position. Interns are encouraged to take initiative, identify needs and propose projects.
Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting your skills and interest in interning with Footsteps to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Footsteps. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.